Monday, 7 March 2011

Crunch Time

Despite there being 14 games left to play this season, I think we are all aware that a loss in tomorrow night's clash with MK Dons could well mean it's season over for us.  Sounds a bit negative I guess, but I can't realistically see us catching our nearest play-off rivals if they manage to secure the 10 point lead over us that a win will give them. 

We have been known to do pretty well against our opponents having already beaten them twice this season and doing the double over them last season.  But I think it's going to be a lot tougher this time out.  There is a lot riding on this game for both teams.  MK Dons will be fully aware that a win could well cement their play-off place providing they don't totally capitulate in the closing stages of the season, and I expect them to give us a real tough game.  I'm hoping that our recent form against them and the fact that we do normally play better against the tougher teams, will help us secure the victory that we so badly require.

Although I don't like to tempt fate, a win at stadium:mk could be just what we need to get our season back on the rails.  The 3 points would keep us within touching distance and should be a massive boost to our confidence, but it's going to be a very difficult task.  The team are clearly lacking in confidence at the moment, and although our second half performance on Saturday gives me hope, I am also very aware of the fact that we have not played well for a full game since Powell's appointment.  We are going to need to be somewhere near our best for long periods if we do hope to pull off the victory.

This will be my first trip to stadium:mk and the 80 mile journey home is going to be pretty bleak if we take a battering.  Our season needs to turn around, so I'm hoping we might see the start of that tomorrow night...

2 comments:

  1. That's just how I feel. I think all our confidence has taken a battering in recent weeks but we are substantially the team that was winning earlier in the season and now we have even better strikers than before. Like you, I'm going to the match, though we're taking a Dons fan so someone's going to be happy going home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My journey home was pretty bad, but at least I was alone. Hope the Dons fan didn't give you too much stick!

    ReplyDelete