Saturday, 23 April 2011

4 goals, 3 red cards and a point

This is a game that I would normally go to as it's only around 40 miles from home.  Being Easter however I'm actually in London for a few days rather than my West Country retreat, so it means I'll be heading to The Valley on Monday instead.  I was indending to head to the Memorial Stadium to catch the game but my missus decided we were going to London.  Hey ho.  Who am I to argue?  So, I, like many others, caught the game on CAFC Player and actually couldn't really believe the events that unfolded.

Going two goals up was a surprise in itself and I don't think anybody could quite believe it.  But in usual Charlton fashion we started to make things hard for ourselves.  Reid's sending off sounded clear cut, a dangerous tackle by all accounts, backed up by the fact that his opponent was stretchered off.  Nobody had any arguments.  But six minutes later Semedo also saw red and suddenly we only had nine men on the field.  Apparently Semedo's tackle was fairly innocuous and the ref was starting to show why he is in League One. Well, two goals up, nine men on the field and thirty minutes left to play. 

The Pirates grabbed a goal back on 66 minutes leaving things on a knife edge.  One would have thought that we had seen enough controversy in this particular match but the referee thought he would add a bit more.  Rovers grabbed the equaliser on 84 minutes though not before he blatantly handled the ball in the build up. , but the referee waved the appeals away.  I guess ultimately we were lucky to get away with the draw.  With ten men it sounded like we were making a good fist of it, but as soon as Semedo went it was one-way traffic.

The final red card of the game was picked up by Chrissie Powell, the second of his short managerial career.  It's nice to see the passion from him, but he also has to show some more professionalism.  Clearly he was incensed by some of the decisions, but how can he now go into the dressing room and talk to the other players about their red cards when he couldn't control himself either? 

Yet more points dropped needlessly.  Some of it our own doing, some due to some poor refereeing decisions.  Kyel Reid might have had one of his brighter games for us, but in my opinion all that was lost after getting himself sent off.  I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen the incident, but if it is as it sounds, I'll not be sad to see him sit out a few games, maybe even the rest of the season.

Bring on Rochdale, my last home game of the season, please give me a win...

No comments:

Post a Comment