Monday, 18 April 2011

Four to go

I spent the majority of Saturday holed up in a Spa in the beautiful Cotswold town of Cirencester.  The reason for this was to give my body a bit of a rest before I ran my 5th consecutive London Marathon on Sunday.  As a result I didn't get to hear the game via CAFC Player, and clearly could not attend the match, and to be perfectly honest with you, my mind was firmly on the run ahead of me rather than a meaningless football game.

From the reports and blogs that I've read it appears that we were unlucky again and should have at least taken a point.  It seems to be becoming a bit of a bad habit.  There have been a few games recently where we have had some excellent possession but still haven't managed to create enough chances, or convert the ones that we do have.  Hopefully a few summer signings will see the end to this.  In Bradley Wright-Phillips we have someone who will readily put the ball in the back of the net, but only if it is delivered to him in the right place.  I'm sure a bit of pre-season work will do the entire team the world of good.  We've managed to mostly rid ourselves of the kick and rush style in our game, but the downside to this is that we are not winning games.  Still plenty of work yet to be done.

In terms of the Marathon it was an exceptionally hot day.  I was hoping for a personal best and to finish inside of the 4 hour mark.  With the sun beating down on me I found it particularly hard going and only managed 4 hours 24 minutes, 13 minutes slower than last years attempt.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement, I worked harder this year than in any of the previous years.  The last six weeks have been hell on earth trying to squeeze in a fitness regime around various work assignments, Charlton and of course family life.  I'm blaming the weather, it at least makes me feel a little better about it all.  Still, there's always next year....

So only four games to go.  Next up is a team in my neck of the woods - Bristol Rovers.  It's a place I've been many times and know well due to covering the game for the local paper on numerous occasions.  This time I'll be there for pleasure rather than work issues which will be a nice change.  This is the last game this season that I'll be attending so it would be nice to end it on a high with a win.

6 comments:

  1. You may be disappointed mate but i take my hat off to you. Well done, fantastic achievement and i'm sure some much needed cash raised for a needy cause.Top man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Raised almost £5000.00 this year which will go to a local children's charity. Clearly the money is the important side of it. When you know you are running to help other people, motivation isn't too hard to find. I wonder how different it would be if I ran it for personal reasons instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody good effort. One of my London colleagues collapsed at 21 miles and spent an hour in and out of consciousness and doesn't remember a thing. He had raised £10,000 and had to send an embarrassing email out this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic achievement! Well done. I'd love to do it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    CA, that's harsh. 21 miles, so close. It was a particularly tough year weather-wise and I did hear of a few runners that had problems. Hope your friend is ok and manages to get the sponsorship cash anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He offered to replace any monies that were withdrawn, but from what I understand everyone will cough up. And he is fine, just tired and a little embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete