Saturday, 30 July 2011

(Un)lucky Seven

What a game to miss. Unfortunately I could neither be there nor listen to the game on Charlton Live but it looks like I missed a seven-goal cracker at the new Den, with Charlton narrowly missing out as the score finished 4-3 to the home side.

Bradley Wright-Phillips is showing early signs of heading into the new season with the bit between his teeth again. Last season he was excellent and was scoring goals for fun, but I did wonder it if was a bit of a flash in the pan, a fluke season if you like. Bradley has been around a while and had never seen a return like last term. However he has never really been given a full season to show what he can do for a club, so maybe he just needed a proper run in a team before he showed what he is really capable of.

I haven't seen the goals, so I don't know if there were any defensive howlers, but shipping 4 goals isn't ideal, it's definitely something we are going to need to look at. In the games that I have seen this season, we look weakest at the back. I'm not convinced about the centre-back pairing, I'm not convinced with Solly either. I like him as a player, but his frame has got us into trouble in the past. Rhoys Wiggins has been a bit up and down in terms of form during pre-season, but he needs time to settle yet. By all accounts Rob Elliot had an excellent game, so there are some positives to come out of the game, despite the scoreline.

Overall though I'm pretty happy with the scoreline. Ok we lost, and apparently we were a bit unlucky not to have grabbed a draw, but once again we have shown we can compete with Championship sides. This must be a confidence boost ahead of the Bournemouth game. Just on the subject of Bournemouth, they managed a good win against Palace today at Dean Court. On the face of it, the 3-1 scoreline looked good and no doubt they will be keen to put in a similar performance against us on August 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment