Saturday, 13 August 2011

Notts County 1 - 2 Addicks

It's hard being a football fan when you can't actually get to see, or even hear your team playing on match day. My wife thought today was a good idea to entertain friends. I thought it a bad idea, but you know who invariably wins those battles. Don't get me wrong, I like the folks who had driven 100 miles to be with us, but sometimes the football fan in me can turn me into a selfish git.

My afternoon largely consisted of a bit of chatter, a nice lunch, and a lot of sneaking around with my iphone trying to keep abreast of the Charlton situation via Twitter. Needless to say my wife had her beady eye on me and I got more than a few of 'those' looks.

So with no live action available to me, I've had to make do with reading a glut of match reports from websites and blogs in order to build up a picture of what went on today. Luckily there are some great sources for this type of information.

The decision to keep Scott Wagstaff in the team was clearly a good one. I heard many calls for Danny Green to come in after sitting the Bournemouth game out through suspension, but I think Powell was right to keep the faith and Scott managed to grab his second goal of the season and send us on our way to victory.

Paul Hayes gave us a taste of what he can offer the team too. After supplying the pass that allowed Wagstaff to get the first goal, Hayes also managed to score his first ever goal in Charlton colours. Most of us aren't expecting lots of goals from Hayes, but if he can continue to bring players into the game and chip in with a few he will be doing a very important job for us.

Our defence has been an area that I have been concerned about. It appears Notts County threw everything but the kitchen sink at us today though, and the lads were equal to it. Some of the play was very direct by all accounts, but we are going to get a fair bit of that at League One level so it's important that we are able to deal with it.

Two wins to start of the campaign is as good as we could have hoped for. We obviously need to be mindful that it is very early days, but after two games, things are going according to plan. Our next match will provide a bit of a stiffer test as Layer Road isn't an easy place to get a result and Colchester will fancy their chances after beating Preston convincingly last week. Momentum is key in any promotion push and I hope we can keep things going.

No comments:

Post a Comment