Thursday, 16 February 2012

Time Out

It's been just over a year since I started this blog, and how things have changed, both personally for me and for our beloved Charlton.

I took some time out recently after becoming both a father and a grandfather in the same month, so it's been an especially busy time in our family.

It's amazing how easily our newest member has slotted in, yet my daughter is having her life turned upside down with the arrival of her first, so my wife and I have been in looking after two newborns at times to ensure my daughter gets some space to make sense of the changes to your life that babies dictate.

On the pitch, Charlton have managed to keep up the promotion push they started before my little break, and in fact have been doing so in a thoroughly professional manner.

With Huddersfield sacking Lee Clark yesterday, I can't help but think if our own board applied a similar logic, then Powell would have been out before the end of last season and who knows who would be in charge now. Fortunately Slater and co. kept the faith and we are all reaping the rewards of that.

Powell has put together a squad of decent footballers for this level, and has instilled a work ethic and team spirit which was sorely lacking under previous regimes. It's good to see some fight back in the team.

This final part of the season is going to be defining. The team is going to have to show plenty of guts, nerves of steel, and some old fashioned Charlton grit and determination, if we are to get promoted, particularly if they want to win the division.

I have the faith, but at the back of my mind I can't help but think that we will somehow make it a lot harder for ourselves than necessary...

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you back. Congratulations with your recent arrivals.

    Hungry Ted

    ReplyDelete