Sunday, 15 April 2012

On the up

When Charlton first arrived in League One, I expected a swift return to the Championship. I never considered it would take us three attempts, nor did I think that I would feel so elated when that moment did come.

Like many fans, I was angry when we arrived in this division. After a spell of relative success, it was hard to accept the downward spiral that we had fallen into, and how quickly our fortunes had turned for the worst.

A quick promotion would have felt good, but it is only when there is some adversity that we can truly appreciate our achievements. I think some fans were starting to to take our successes for granted but this little holiday will help to keep things in perspective for everyone.

Winning promotion from the third tier of football may not be considered so special to many fans. Three years ago I might have agreed, but it has become more than just winning a place in the next tier of football. I am genuinely pleased that we will be playing Championship football, but the most important aspect of this is that we've stopped the rot and can finally move on as a club again.

This promotion can help us close the book on another blot in our history. We are now in a position once again where anything is possible. We have a young manager who clearly has some potential, we have a board that have aspirations of top flight football, and we have a team that we can all be proud of again.

Michael Slater took a gamble in appointing Chris Powell, and it's paid off. I also can't help thinking that some of the reason why this all feels so special is because we have Powell at the helm. A true Charlton man who knows exactly what this club is all about.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. There is still much work to be done, and I hope that we now go on to lift that trophy, and put the icing on the cake.


1 comment:

  1. Great post - the cake is very sweet indeed, but the icing will make it all the better. Only 4 points needed, a home banker against Wycombe and a scrappy draw anywhere else will do me just fine.

    COYR!!

    ReplyDelete